Queenstown Half Marathon


For a few years now I have said I wanted to go and do the Queenstown half, feeling that it was unlikely though as it's so far away and expensive to get to.  This year my hubby said "If you want to do it, make it happen".  So with that, I entered us both in May (the event is in November), and booked both flights and accommodation immediately!

At the time, I was coming off an ITB niggle that put a bit of a halt on my training for a few weeks, but once I had that sorted, we were 10 weeks out from the half marathon which is a perfect build up for me.  The training went well - building those weekend long runs slowly with an occasional easier week (and a trip to Rarotonga in the middle!) and getting in three other shorter runs during the week.  My longest run was 17km (which I did two weeks in a row), with a two week taper.  The weekend before the race I set a new 10km PB which was a great confidence booster heading in to the half marathon.

Then all of a sudden, race week was here and it was time for our little run-cation. We left the kids with the grandparents and headed down to Queenstown for the long weekend.

Friday afternoon in Queenstown the rain set in, with it forecast to continue into race-day (Saturday) morning, which wasn't ideal, but we prepared ourselves mentally for a soggy day out.  So with the obligatory flat-lay pic, and a good feed of potatoes and kumara, we went off to bed, looking forward to the following day.

Obligatory flatrunner shot


We were up early - 5.30 to get a breakfast in and get dressed.  It was a cool, calm morning (about 7 deg) and it wasn't raining!  Perfect!  The bus ride out to the half marathon start line was so beautiful - with a low lying mist that made the area look so mysterious and magical.  

The course, pictured below, is the second half of the marathon course, which includes a small section of country road to start before joining the Queenstown trail network, following the Shotover and Kawarau rivers before hitting the Frankton Arm of Lake Wakatipu and following the lakefront around to Queenstown.

The course map: from STRAVA


I'd never been in such a large event with so many participants.  We'd heard there were 6000 runners and walkers for the half-marathon.  It was pretty impressive walking to the start line with people as far as the eye could see.  There was lots of energy and positive vibes as we milled around - lots of excited chatter and jokes.  I think mostly everyone was so relieved it wasn't raining.

Filling in some time before heading to the start line


There were pace areas set out, we joined the 1.50-2 hr and slotted ourselves in. 

8am and the 'elites' were off - then a minute later the rest of our group starts shuffling towards the start line.  I always start events with the temptation to keep up with everyone around me (as is common!) so I kept a close eye on my watch, aiming for around 5.30 min/km for the first couple of kilometres to warm up.

There was just a short section of road then a steep downhill to join the trail network and the gravel/limestone path.  Crossing the footbridge over the Shotover river was probably my favourite part - magnificent views of the river valley either side.

Crossing the Shotover... picture borrowed from facebook


We could hear the first band (there were two on the half marathon course) playing for about a couple of kilometres before we actually reached them, what an awesome boost of energy as we passed them and the spectators (especially the young kids holding their hands out for high fives. I love that stuff).

The most beautiful part of the run was following the trail alongside the Shotover and then the Kawarau river.


Alongside the Kawarau River.. the water was so clear and beautiful.  
Picture borrowed from facebook


The spectators were awesome - all along the course - clapping and cheering for everyone, and every now and then calling out by name.  Amusingly,  one of the people who encouraged me with a "Go Kate!" was actually the former general manager of the company I worked for before kids.  He didn't remember me of course, but it gave me a chuckle, and something to think about for a few kilometres while I tried to remember his name!


Lake Wakatipu.  Calm and still.  Picture borrowed from facebook

The course was reasonably undulating but there was a long section of uphill (gradual, but uphill nonethless) that didn't seem to end.  Once we dropped down from the Frankton arm section it was flatter and more easy going.  Here, we saw a few photographers. I did my best to smile for each of them.  Thankfully a couple of them came out okay!

Splashed out on the official photos

Air time!


My hubby was awesome to run with.  We didn't talk much.  Only an occasional "wow, look at the river" or "feel the burn" when we were running up hills.  He was really encouraging, especially in the later stages of the race.  He knew my goal, and knew the required pace to hit it.  At one point ( think it must have been 18km or so, he said "You'll have to speed up a bit if you want to beat your PB" and I replied with "I don't care anymore."  Of course I actually did, I was just a bit grumpy... sorry hun!

We hit the Queenstown gardens for the final 2km, along Marine Parade, Rees street, then up Duke St (a nasty wee hill to finish) before heading back down the ramp to the finishing chute.  All done!  

Feeling tired but proud

Official finish time: 1:56:16.  An average pace of 5:28 min/km.  It wasn't quicker than my half earlier this year (1:55:50), but it was pretty darn close.  

It was definitely a PB effort - I know that I couldn't have run any harder than I did on the day, plus the average pace of sub 5:30min/km for nearly two hours? I surprised myself.

After a banana and an entire bottle of blue powerade (normally I wouldn't touch the stuff!) I managed to catch up with a couple of old friends, and meet some new ones from the 'gram.

I loved this event.  From the sheer magnitude of it; the number of people and the atmosphere was unlike anything I've experienced before.  It was so well organised, with helpful volunteers everywhere (I couldn't help but think about the Race Director and their team and what goes into putting in such a huge event).  And of course, how could you not enjoy running in such a beautiful location.  It really makes the run go more quickly when you're distracted by the beauty all around you.

I knew that the course was a 'net downhill' meaning that the start point is higher in elevation than the end point, but I also knew that there were plenty of rises and falls along the way.  Even knowing that, I was surprised by the amount of hills, both the short sharp ones (such as the one up to cross the Shotover foot bridge) and the longer, slower grinds (especially the gradual climb along the Frankton arm!).  I was especially glad to have done a bit of running around the hillier parts of town in the weeks leading up to the half, as I would have really struggled otherwise.  The surface was mostly limestone path, with some gravel sections, and maybe 2.5 - 3km of asphalt in total.

Half marathon course profile


I'd totally go back and do this again - if I managed to find a sponsor for flights and accommodation!   It's now been three weeks since the event and I'm ready to set a new goal for 2019.. more on that to come!

💖 K8


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A reflection on my last half marathon training cycle...

2017 - a year of dreams

This year's birthday challenge