2017 - a year of dreams

It was about this time, a year ago, as 2017 was about to begin, that I started speaking out loud what it is I want to 'do'.

I left the workforce when my eldest son was born, eight years ago, and haven't been back.  I have a Bachelor in Engineering (Environmental Engineering) that took me four years and earned me first class honours (with scholarship).  I worked as a consulting engineer for precisely 4.5 years, just a little bit longer than I studied, then I became 'Mum'.

I'm now a proud stay-at-home Mum of three boys.  My youngest is three and has started kindy, three days a week.  It is now I am beginning to catch glimpses of 'freedom' that is when all my children are at school, and questioning 'what is next?'.  

Since I started running, and found out the physical, mental and emotional benefits that came along with it, I knew I wanted to share this with other people.  Especially mothers.  I know first-hand how all-encompassing motherhood can be.  How you can lose yourself, your identity, in becoming 'Mum'.  I wanted to help others feel the freedom of running too, and find themselves again in the process.

So I started talking about it with my husband and a few close friends.  "I want to help other people, especially women and young mums, get fit and healthy".  I had no idea what this would look like, but I shared my dream anyway.  

Life continued, as a busy Mum of three, and I kept doing what I loved, running and exercising, and connecting with like-minded people in the 'real world' as well as through social media.

Late 2016, I was contacted through Instagram connections by the team organising STEPITUPNZ - a community inspiring and encouraging others to get motivated for Cigna Round the Bays in Wellington - to be one of their ambassadors.  I was thrilled to have the opportunity to represent the 'everyday athlete' amongst the other amazing ambassadors. I ran the 10k event with my husband as my plus one, and we thoroughly enjoyed it.  He paced me to a new 10k PR.  (It also ended up being my only event this year! I'm hoping to do slightly more in 2018).

Midway through 2017 I put my hand up to start a parkrun in Palmerston North.  Parkrun is a global concept, started in the UK thirteen years ago.  It's a free 5km timed event, every Saturday at 8am.  There are thousands all over the world.  We're about to have our tenth parkrun this weekend, having had an average of 150 runners and walkers every week!    It's been amazing for our community but it's also been amazing for me personally.   I'll blog separately about my parkrun experience soon.

Then, a bit later in the year I received a phone call out of the blue:  Would I like to be part of 261 Fearless in New Zealand?  My heart leapt and I almost cried over the phone (sorry about that, Rachel!)  Of course I would!

I'd already heard of 261 Fearless through social media.  It's a global initiative bringing women together, inspiring and encouraging each other to find their own strength and freedom through running.  It's about being social, connected, and all-inclusive.  I've had the training, and I'm now officially a 261 Coach; I'll be leading a group of women in a session once a week where we play games, have fun, learn technique and run TOGETHER in a social environment.  More on this to come, but safe to say, I'm excited.


This is the 'tight five' - the first five trainers to go out and spread the 261 Fearless message in NZ. 
With Kathrine Switzer and 261 Fearless CEO & Master Trainer Edith Zuschmann


All I've done is be myself, make new connections in different places, and it's led to a couple of pretty amazing volunteer opportunities in the field I want to be involved with.  My network is growing, who knows where it will lead?

2018 is going to be a big year.  It's going to be amazing.  I'm excited.

💖 K8


Comments

  1. There’s an exciting 2018 year ahead Kate. I look forward to following your progress with your ‘projects’.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Things are coming together for you! Glad to have found your IG and your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A reflection on my last half marathon training cycle...

This year's birthday challenge