A reflection on my last half marathon training cycle...

Recently I ran 'comeback' half-marathon (race report here).  It was my first in two years after I suffered a serious injury shortly after completing my second half marathon in 2016. 

Since the injury (which took me out for six months), I'd not had too much interest in running, entering only a 5km and 10km event.  I've had a few setbacks including complications from varicose vein surgery as well which had put the brakes on any fitness gains.  It felt like there was a lot of 'starting again' over the past two years.

I felt like I had unfinished business with the half marathon distance, and always in the back of my mind wanted to do 'at least one more'.  However, mentally, I wasn't quite ready to take a chance on training for another half marathon.  The desire was there, but the fear of re-injury was much greater.  

After parkrun on a Saturday morning earlier this year, I said to the Great Forest Events race organiser, Chris, that I was thinking about doing the half marathon but wasn't quite ready to commit yet.  He offered me a free entry and encouraged me to give it a go. "What's the worst that can happen?  You can always change down to the 10km if you need to."  So that was it.

That gave me 10 or so weeks to get half marathon ready. I put a lot of thought into training intelligently.  I wanted to get to race-day knowing that I'd done all I could to avoid recurring the same injury.

Planning:  I considered my training plan carefully, ensuring I wasn't in danger of over training.  I introduced a 'rest week' every 4 weeks (which I lined up with something that happens hormonally every 4 weeks!) where I reduced long run distance by about a third and took my other runs that week at an easier pace. 

Frequency and type of training: This time I ran four days a week instead of three, but with shorter week-day runs (and the usual long run on a weekend).  One of these weekday runs was with my 261 Fearless group - as the Coach I always run with the slowest person so it was always a very easy run.  I had one run a week where I ran to tempo to keep my speed up OR I ran hills.  The other I kept relatively easy, depending on how my body felt and what I was in the mood for.  I did not include any specific speed/interval sessions this time.

 Long runs: My two longest runs were 'only' 17km.  Previously I had trained up to 20km, more than a few times, and I suspect that may have contributed to my injury in terms of over-training.

Strength training: Actually doing proper strength training!  This is something I had always known was important but didn't really do often.  I had a trainer make up a running-specific program for me every 5-6 weeks, concentrating on those all important glutes and hip stabiliser muscles, but also spending time working on my core, back and shoulder strength.   as this all contributes to good running form and economy, and most importantly, staying injury-free!

➤ Recovery: I honoured the rest day, making sure to have at least one day a week off from running or the gym, and taking the time to roll out my legs and feet regularly.

Fueling: Tailwind. It's the bees knees, if you haven't tried it yet.  It works way better for me than water and bliss balls (also known as energy bites), which is what I used previously.  I love the fact that it's hydration and fuel at the same time.  It dissolves easily and rinses cleanly out of my camelbak, too. 

Mental training and focus: In a few specific sessions I focused on pushing through when it felt hard.  For example, changing up my hill training sessions by running ALL of the hills and stairs and recovering on the flats (instead of the other way round).  My last training run before the half marathon was a 10km where my only goal was to "push it, until it hurts, and keep pushing".  I believe it gave me a huge boost of confidence when I completed this and set a new 10km PB.

The training cycle was awesome - I completed every single run on my 'programme' and never felt sore or exhausted.  I went into the race feeling good and ready.

Unfortunately, I wound up with an ITB/TFL strain afterward that took a few weeks to come right afterwards... which was kind of annoying given that I'd put so much work into training.  But at least I didn't get injured before the event.. and the injury was nowhere near what I'd suffered before.  So, although this Type-A personality felt like a failure at the time, it is now, almost 2 months later that I can look back with the blessing of hindsight and realise that it wasn't.. it was just confirmation that I'd given absolutely everything on the day!

My next 'locked in' goal is Queenstown half marathon in November.  I have another varicose veins treatment to recover from soon, then I'll begin training for that one. Can't wait!

💖 K8


Comments

  1. Good on you for committing to another event. We should arrange some training runs together - slow ones! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wouna. And yes I would enjoy that! Should be back up and running in another couple of weeks after the vein surgery. :)

      Delete
  2. And well done on achieving your goal and setting two PBs!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Kate. It looks like you are doing all the right things for success. Happy training for Queenstown. i'd love to do that half. I entered the full in the inaugural year and couldn't go due to plantar fasciitis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann. Plantar fasciitis sounds horrid, sorry that it disrupted your plans. I hope that your current training is going well :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2017 - a year of dreams

This year's birthday challenge