This year's birthday challenge


For my birthday the last few years (except for 2017 when I was injured) I've set myself a running challenge to celebrate another year old.  Basically, any excuse to do a new adventure and challenge myself really!  In previous years it's been running the length of the river track in Palmerston North (it was the first time I had done it, and the first time I'd run 10km after the birth of my third son), and running the Gorge for the first time.

This year I had the Paekakariki Escarpment track in mind.  The last few times we've driven to Wellington along the Kapiti Coast, I've pointed out the trail to my husband.  It's a track cut into the hillside between Paekakariki and Pukerua Bay.  I'd seen photos on Facebook and Instagram from others who'd done the track, and was keen to give it a go for myself!

Imagine my luck to be invived along with Gerry and Wouna to do the track on the day before my birthday! I was in!  I invited Kel along too, thankfully she was keen to join me for just one direction as the others were going to do both.

It was an early start, on the road just after 6am, meeting with Gary (a local) and ready to run at 7:30am.  We really were blessed with a fantastic weather for running the track.  Clear and still, albeit a little cool, it was going to be a beautiful day out.

The first two kilometres or so were fairly light and undulating, before the real work began.  Being on the west coast, and starting early in the morning, meant that we were in shadow.  It did turn out to be a blessing though, as it kept us cool.




The climb was steady and steep to the top.  It was a mixture of running the 'flats' and walking the steep bits.  The track itself is well-formed and narrow in places (but not so narrow that you worried about falling down the side of the hill!)




The highest point, the end of the original track, was at the 3.5km mark. We paused for a while, taking in the view (and a snack or two).




The descent included two sets of VERY steep stairs.  I'm not normally afraid of heights, but the steepness and the sight of the road and cars below did make me a little nervous!  I took each block at a time, concentrating on each footfall, and definitely breathed a sigh of relief when it was over.



The trail includes two reasonably long swing-bridges across valleys.  For fun, we took it one at a time, trying to run with the 'bounce'.




The final kilometre or so was fairly flat, following the train track.  At the end of the trail Gerry, Wouna and Gary turned around to run back for a double traverse. whilst Kel and I strolled to Pukerua Bay train station for a ride back to Paekakariki.

Below is the elevation profile - a max elevation of 250m and elevation gained of 450m.




It was an amazing day out - one to remember - and I'm looking forward to getting back down there and doing it again sometime.  Maybe even both ways!

💖 K8

Comments

  1. Amazing experience Kate! Happy late birthday. And great blog too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely story. So nice to re-live it! Hope you had a fantastic birthday. Very glad to hear you're keeping on top of your injury!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wouna, was such a fun day out. Thanks again for having me :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A reflection on my last half marathon training cycle...

2017 - a year of dreams