Varicose Veins - Part One

Disclaimer: I am not saying that those with varicose veins, of any degree, need to get them fixed.  My veins were really affecting my self-confidence so I made the decision to have them removed.

I have decided to share my experience with varicose veins and treatment, in the hope that it may be helpful for anyone else out there wanting to do something about their own veins but wanting a better idea of what it involves.

First of all, what are varicose veins? 

"Veins are the blood vessels that carry blood from the body to the heart (whereas arteries carry blood from the heart to the body).  Properly functioning veins have a series of one-way valves that keep the blood flowing in one direction towards the heart.  Varicose veins occur when, as a result of various causes, the valves within the veins become inefficient (incompetent) and allow blood to backflow.  The blood pools in the area below the affected valve causing the vein to enlarge and stretch.  Varicose veins appear under the skin as bluish-green lines, which may bulge out or appear twisted and contorted." - Southern Cross

Some people can get skin issues, heaviness and fatigue, pain and aches, and leg cramps at night. 

There are a number of factors that can contribute to varicose veins, for me it was a genetic predisposition (my mother has them, though not nearly as bad) and pregnancy.  My first showed up whilst pregnant with my first child, and each subsequent pregnancy added more.

I am lucky in that the issue was mainly cosmetic for me, apart from a horrific superficial blood clot when pregnant with my second child (note, not a DVT, which is much more serious).  A superficial blood clot affects superficial veins and resolves over time.  I had 2-3 weeks of intense pain (like fire down my leg every time I stood up) and could barely walk.  Not great when you're 15 weeks pregnant and chasing a toddler around!

It was at that point my midwife got me in medical grade compression stockings (which I had to purchase privately through a podiatrist) in order to assist circulation and reduce the chance of any further blood clots forming. I wore them every day until my baby was born (and a week or so afterward).  They were thigh-high and a wrestle to get on every morning, but it was worth it.  

I wore the stockings again right through my third pregnancy, and whilst I avoided any blood clots, my varicose veins worsened.

Afterward, I got back into my running and fitness. I lost the baby weight and felt fantastic about myself - both feeling fit and strong and loving my new body shape.  However, I always felt super self-conscious in shorts and skirts.  Was everyone looking at my legs and thinking 'yuck'?  Chances are, they weren't.  I know the world doesn't revolve around me and no one really thinks that.  


This is the 'before' pic, taken in the clinic before my first treatment in May 2017.  They were mainly on the inside of my calves, over my ankles and on my feet.

The tipping point for me was when I saw someone about an injury I had.  "I hope you don't mind me saying, but you have a great body. I can see you take care of yourself and it shows.  Have you thought about getting your varicose veins removed?".  He meant it in a totally kind (and non-creepy) way, but it hit a nerve for me.  I cried my eyes out there in his office, and decided later that day that I would do something about it.  (He explained that I reminded him of his adult daughter, about my age, who also had varicose veins and had them treated. He also apologised profusely for making me cry!).

My husband, my number one supporter and encourager, talked me into getting it done, but it was a while before I plucked up the courage to make that first appointment. 

In the next blog post, I'll talk about the procedures and the recovery.

Please, if you have any questions or would like to know more, don't hesitate to ask below or DM me privately on instagram.

💖 K8




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A reflection on my last half marathon training cycle...

2017 - a year of dreams

This year's birthday challenge